Youth Exchange “Migration Perspectives”
13-21 May 2019
Skala – Laconia, Peloponnese – Greece
In our increasingly diverse and multicultural societies with the migration flows constantly raising, mutual understanding and intercultural competence are more important than ever. In fact, however, prejudices, discrimination and stereotypes are very common in modern societies, with political parties that support extreme ideologies to gain more and more ground in Europe.
In this context, NGO KEAN – Cell of Alternative Youth Activities has developed and is going to implement the Youth Exchange Project entitled “MIGRATION PERSPECTIVES” with the aim to contribute to the social integration of migrants/refugees and to address the possible prejudices and stereotypes that young people have towards this particular social group.
More specifically, the YE “Migration Perspectives” aims to:
- Increase awareness and understanding of young people about the migration/refugee issue;
- Moderate the negative stereotypes of young people and contribute to mutual understanding between young people from different cultural backgrounds;
- Contribute to the change of attitudes towards the different and to the establishment of positive and constructive relations;
- Develop young people’s ability to interfere and express their opposition when behaviours of prejudice or discrimination against individuals and groups occur;
- Facilitate the exchange of views among young people from different countries, promoting mutual understanding and cooperation.
The project “MIGRATION PERSPECTIVES” will take place on 13-21 of May 2019, in the town of Skala which is located in the region of Laconia in Peloponnese – Greece. Βased on a series of interactive activities on the migration/refugee issue, discrimination, stereotypes, prejudices, intercultural dialogue and understanding, will gather in total 53 participants coming from 10 different countries (Greece, Cyprus, Estonia, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Italy, Croatia, Lithuania and Poland).
The exchange will be based on non-formal learning methods with particular emphasis on experiential and peer learning that will come as a result of the participants’ interaction. Young people will be actively involved in all the activities and will contribute to their realization with their ideas and creativity.
The main outcomes of the project will be the reflection that will arise around the issue as well as the raised awareness of the young people. Deeper understanding of immigrants/refugees, the development of young people’s intercultural competence, the mitigation of their stereotypes and prejudices and their activation to act against these phenomena.
In the long term, the minimization of the negative stereotypes and discrimination against migrants/refugees, a harmonious coexistence and interaction and the creation of more favourable conditions for their integration into European societies are expected.
VENUE: Skala, Lakonia – Peloponnese
DATES: 13 – 21 May 2019
PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES: Greece, Cyprus, Estonia, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Italy, Croatia, Lithuania and Poland.
PARTICIPANTS PER COUNTRY: 5 participants (4 participants 18-30 years old & 1 Group Leader 18 years old and over)
PROJECT’S LANGUAGE: English
The Project will cover the following costs:
- 100% covered expenses for accommodation;
- 100% covered expenses for meals (Fizzy drinks & alcohol are not included);
- Fixed amount of travel costs is covered by the Programme (see Info-Pack);
- 80€ per participant for visa costs are covered by the Programme (concerning only participants from Turkey).
If you are interested in joining the project, please fill in our Online Application Form: https://forms.gle/VhgCQWyaSFvdrHaa9