2 Participating countries:
The project aims at the research, exchange and dissemination of technology in E.U and the development of volunteering in urban and suburban green space with an emphasis in urban green parks in European cities.
The objective of the program is the detailed research and the scientific documentation of the benefits derived from the development and the networking of volunteering initiatives for urban and suburban green space and urban parks.
Conferences, workshops and research will be the basic tools of the program in order to develop and establish a volunteer movement in E.U.
The program is addressed to people of all ages and all social classes and especially those who have few chances of direct inclusion in civil society.
The results expected from the MVP are:
– Benefits from volunteer actions, in urban parks and the quality of the environment and of humans life in European cities.
– Combat against climate change in E.U.
– Advantages for the preservation and amelioration of urban parks in European cities.
– Scientific background for volunteering in urban and suburban green space and parks.
– Increase of volunteer initiatives for the environment, that emanate from the above mentioned target groups.
Objectives of the project
The MVP brings into focus the preservation and sustainability of urban and suburban green spaces and urban parks through the development of volunteering initiatives. Its main objective is to promote the European Year of Volunteering and to raise awareness on volunteerism in the environmental sector through innovative actions.
The objective of the program is the detailed research and the scientific documentation of the possible benefits that derive from the development and the networking of volunteering initiatives for urban and suburban green space and urban parks in European cities. In particular, objectives of the project are:
– Social and environmental benefits, derived from volunteer actions in urban parks that improve the quality of the environment and of humans life in European cities.
– A contribution to the combat in tackling climate change in E.U.
– A better preservation of urban parks in European cities.
MVP meets specific objectives and the priority theme of the call for proposals:
– It improves the quality of volunteering, facilitating volunteering activities in an underdevelopment field.
– It develops further the capacities of structures (such as urban parks) through the assistance of volunteering activities.
– It creates an enabling environment for volunteering in cities in the EU
– It addresses existing obstacles of protection of urban green space, especially in countries that face economic crisis.
– It enables employer-supported volunteering, by motivating companies and corporations to contribute socially to feasible activities.
– Mobility schemes in volunteering for people of all ages, with specific emphasis on young people
– It promotes volunteering as a way to fight against social exclusion, while the expected better quality of life is a widely socially distributed result.
– It fosters senior volunteering and strengthening intergenerational dialogue and cooperation, while the suggested actions are clearly visible and motivating for everyone.
– With regards to volunteering in the corporate sector, a connection between volunteering and Corporate Social Responsibility will be developed, motivating employees to take part in voluntary activities in cooperation with nongovernmental organisations. The expected result is the proliferation of volunteers from the private sector.
– With regards to citizens, the expected initiatives will also flourish in the neighboring to Parks and green space municipalities (cooperation with the local government, social services and Parent Councils)
Hellenic Ornithological Society- BirdLife Greece
UNIT OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES – Cyprus Centre for European and International Affairs
46 Makedonitissas Avenue, P.O. Box 24005, 1700 Nicosia, Cyprus
Organisation type: Non governmental organisation (NGO)
University of Nicosia, Cyprus
46 Makedonitissas Avenue, CY-2417
P.O. Box 24005, CY-1700
Organisation type: Educational Institution-University
MINISTRY FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, ENERGY AND CLIMATE CHANGE
AMALIADOS 17, 11523, Athens, Greece